Sunday, October 14, 2012

Hummingbirds & Hurricanes

 
 
I have a new porch swing I love to sit in and watch what's happening in the world around me. Late yesterday afternoon I was watching the clouds roll in from Tropical Storm Rafael. The forecast originally showed it to come right across the island. We had cleaned up plants and lightweight chairs from the deck so the wind would not blow them around. I planned to leave the hummingbird feeders up til after dark so the birds could get their dinner. But I noticed it was quiet of birds chirping and flying around. It came to me they were sheltered someplace safe waiting for the storm to pass. No one on TV or the radio informed them it was coming. None had read the news headlines advising them to be ready with storm preparations. No...God took care of them.
 
"Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they? Matthew 6:26
 
I love the last part of this verse. If God takes such good care of the little birds in a storm, He will surely take care of me. What comfort that is. All kinds of storms come into our lives. Some could be financial, emotional, family conflict, illness, and the list is endless.
I have gone through storms without a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and many more storms since the day I received Him as my Savior. What a huge difference with Him carrying me through the storm. There is peace, comfort, guidance and hope. Never do I want to go it alone again...and with Him I know I am not alone. I am sheltered under His care just as the little birds are when storms come.
How do you go through the storms in life? In your own strength and wisdom? Where is the peace, hope, and guidance?
 
"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you."   Matthew 6:33
 



No comments:

Post a Comment