Thursday, December 22, 2011

Christmas Away From Home



As I sit out on the deck of the house we are house sitting I can see the islands of St. Thomas and St. John. If I close my eyes and use my imagination I can see the states of Florida, Georgia and Maine where my family all live. We have been away from home most of the last 20 years of our marriage but Christmas always brings the yearning to go home. This year probably more so as Ryan & Nicole will be having Ali Cecilia Smith on December 26th. She is our sixth grandchild and despite complications, the Lord has kept her safe and growing til the 36th week of pregnancy. I know that God has me where He wants me to be but still, the desire to go home is here.
I wonder...
When Jesus was here on this earth, did He ever look towards heaven and yearn to go back home? Did He think of the things He was missing, wonder why He was so far from home? I know He chose to come to this earth. His love for me and others was so strong that He made the sacrifice. That's why we can celebrate Christmas Day with hope. He chose to die on the cross for our sins 33 years later, rose to heaven and is preparing a place for those who are His. He will return someday for His people.
This Christmas, though I yearn to go home, my prayer is that I will have the heart of Jesus. My desire may be for home but the work is not quite done. May I be about my Father's business until He calls me Home!

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16

No comments:

Post a Comment